Friday 11 March 2016

Tough day helped by hardworking police

Today I had to take one of our dogs to be euthanised.

For the last couple of years we've tried all we could from training to injections of female hormones to help him get over his aggression to strangers but he seemed to be getting worse. The trouble was he was so sweet to us and people that he knew well but was a threat to strangers. He was a big, strong dog but had psychological issues from an early age so as responsible owners we had to ensure he couldn't harm anyone. Better to act before he attacked a strange child than have to deal with the consequences.

Thank God for Howard, the Australian missionary vet who's been helping us over the years to try to find solutions for the dog.  Thank God that the end was in his capable hands.

I had to drive the dog to Howard's place and was managing to hold it together until I was stopped on the way by the hard-working Nigerian police force. "Show me your international passport and car tinted windows permit," officer Ishayu asked aggressively.
"I don't carry my passport. You can see my resident's permit and tinted windows document but I'm taking my dog to the vet," I answered.
He looked. Asked for the other car documents (which I gave him as we believe in obeying the laws of the land and keeping them up to date) then told me the windows permit, which had been passed by the last policeman who'd checked on Monday, should have been renewed online. (When I got home we checked and yes that had been a requirement since January but we had until March 18th to comply). That was a 15,000 or 50,000 naira fine (I wasn't entirely sure which he said) and I had to go with him to the police command in Jos, next to the prison as he made sure to mention, over an hour's drive in the opposite direction from where I was heading.
Then he tried to open the passenger door and get into the car.
I was alone in the car with a condemned dog.
Thankfully, I remember my training and always lock the doors whenever I drive off.
Thankfully through BRiCC I've made friends with one of the Plateau government Commissioners so I told the officer I was going to phone him and check the facts.
The officer told me it was illegal for me to make a phone call.
I didn't believe him and carried on.
Thankfully the Commissioner answered my call and helped.  He spoke to the officer (who was worried when I took down his name and number - surely someone who was "just doing his job" wouldn't have been) then said he would phone the man direct.
I was released to go on my way.

After I'd left my dog at the vet I returned the way I'd come.

The police had gone from that place and I was relieved until I was nearly home and met another policeman who stopped me. (Army checkpoints in contrast are usually manned by courteous and professional soldiers).
He wanted "something for water" - code for a bribe. I'd had enough and couldn't hold it back any more.
"I come here to serve Nigerians, building peace between Muslims and Christians and all I get is trouble from policemen". There were tears by this time. Then he asked for water money. I refused. He admitted defeat and waved me on.

Thank you police force of Nigeria for making a traumatic day so much easier.

I weep for those Nigerians who have no one to call for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment