Tuesday 24 September 2013

Light in dark places

As an open follower of Jesus I know that I'm always on display.  Every time I lose my temper, act ungraciously or give in to the temptation to make sarcastic comments it reflects badly on him and can put an obstacle in the way of people who don't know him.  This was brought home to me very clearly last week when a young man I'd never met before came up to me and said "I want to become a Christian."  He had been watching me and some Christian friends for three months and had decided to take the plunge.  I don't think he truly understood that becoming a Christian didn't involve me immediately adopting him and taking him home but God is stirring something within him, especially as his decision means that he feels he can no longer go back to his family.  I introduced him to a Nigerian pastor who has experience in such situations and the young man has now gone to a safe place where he'll be taught what giving his life to Jesus really entails with all its possible difficulties and overwhelming joys.  He'll be with others from a similar background, some further along in their journey to faith but all of whom are interested in finding out more about Jesus whatever the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment