Thursday 22 August 2013

Back to school

The first week back at school is over.  James is settling in to high school but his involvement in football three times a week means that we have eleven hours between leaving the house in the morning and getting back at night (me too when I go to Hausa lessons and BRICC in between dropping the children and picking them back up).  Ruth is enjoying being back with those of her friends who are still in Nigeria (many have returned to the USA) but she's picked up a bad cold already. I blame the travellers who bring bugs from the planes.  I'm enjoying my one-to-one tuition in Hausa although it'll take a lot of practice before I'm speaking naturally.  We're all in some kind of education except Fraser but he's busy helping students in the library, sorting out the cataloguing and working out how to get reliable and affordable internet access for the college.

Our new terms (or semesters as I'm supposed to get used to calling them) have just started but the current BRICC women's skills class is coming to an end.  Their examinations are taking place this week so on Monday, Wednesday and Friday a third of the women are doing their practical baking test.  BRICC is a family: everyone wants to be involved and support other departments so Madam Vero's call for volunteers to taste and grade the women's efforts unsurprisingly didn't go unanswered.  I missed Monday's test but yesterday I was there along with a good number of the BRICC regulars to help assess the cakes, doughnuts and bread.  It's great to see the enthusiasm and comfortable mingling which goes on and which I'm sure will be repeated on Saturday when people turn out to support the education department's graduation event.  There's still one group of women due to be tested on Friday with cookies and cakes the rumoured subjects so I'll have to do my best to go along and lend a hand.  It's a hard job...

No comments:

Post a Comment