Saturday 2 January 2016

Shopping

I've just come back from a brief trip to the shops in Bukuru.

One shop which advertises electronic payment facilities didn't have a working machine nor did it have change for cash but as usual tried to pay me off in individually wrapped sweets.
Insistent cries of "Baturia" or "Oyibo" weren't friendly greetings but invitations to be ripped off. If I hadn't carefully checked the tomatoes half would have been rotten, as it is I haven't yet had the heart to look at how many bad ones got through the net.
The happy young man at the meat stall carefully showed me his scales as he weighed 500g meat after resetting them when I queried their accuracy. Somehow my kitchen scales show only 350g. I wonder whose are the more reliable.

The sad thing is that I expect to be cheated or overcharged every time I have to go to the market. It doesn't make it easier to be proved right and every time this happens another little piece is chipped from the reputation of the majority of Nigerians. Pray for this country, that 2016 will bring the start of a complete change of heart and attitudes at all level of society - lack of integrity is certainly not confined to the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment