Wednesday 15 October 2014

Police Encounter

For the past few weeks there's often been a police vehicle waiting at a quiet spot on the road from TCNN to Jos.  The armed Nigerian police do not have a good reputation amongst their countrymen.  The conversation I had with the officer who stopped me this afternoon could give you a clue why, although I've never before encountered one as blatant.

Me: Good afternoon.
Policeman: I'm going to chop your money.
Me: Are you?
P: Give me lots of money.
Me: No.
(Incredulous look from policeman)
P: I'm going to chop your money.
Me: No you're not. That's not your job.
(Second incredulous look)
P: What's my job?
Me: To protect and serve.

At this point I think he gave up as he smiled and asked after my family before waving me on to black looks from his comrades who, with guns slung over their shoulders, were busy requesting money from the other vehicles they'd stopped.

"Do your job well," was my parting shot. "Honour God."

I await my next encounter with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment