Tuesday 16 April 2013

BRICC Keke 1


Yesterday afternoon there was a lovely sight waiting for me at the BRICC office - our first shiny new keke napep had arrived and was sitting in the road where Toby used to park (bit of a difference between a jeep and a little 3-wheeler). 

After the obligatory photos I got my first trip.  Coach Musa, aka Terminator ("I'll be back") drove me.  Unlike all the men I've come across who're itching to get behind the wheel I'm quite happy to sit in state in the back and be chauffeured.  There was a hairy moment when Coach didn't seem all that familiar with the controls but we were soon off, narrowly avoided the chairman's chairs in the road.  It would have been awful to crash the thing on its first day but we made it safely round the block and I was a convert to keke riding.



The purchase of two kekes has been made possible by specific donations to BRICC.  This one will be allocated to a Christian driver, backed by the local church leaders.  The second, as soon as we get it, will be driven by a Muslim suggested by the imam.  We really need the two to promote BRICC's spirit of relationship building between the communities and it'll be great to have the steady rental income they'll bring.

Just an ordinary day walking along with a sewing machine on your head

No comments:

Post a Comment