Sunday 24 February 2013

In the grand scheme of things the health of a dog is not the most important issue, especially here in Nigeria where there are so many people with vital needs.  However, when you move from your own country and culture and get a dog who was born on the very day you left and rapidly becomes one of the family, when that dog becomes ill it is quite a concern.  It also brings home to me how far I am from what I know.  In the UK I know how to find out the vet's surgery hours, I can take my pet to a clean and welcoming building and feel reassured that he'll be well cared for, given whatever medicines he needs and at the correct dosages (facts by no means certain here for animals or humans).  In Nigeria on Saturday I turned up 20 minutes before the sign said surgery ended only to be told I was too late, come back on Monday.  I'm fairly competent in assessing whether my children need a doctor urgently but I've had little experience when it comes to a dog and felt so helpless in the face of all that is unfamiliar.  So many people here have tales of how their animals died suddenly from diseases they picked up from the surroundings.  When our dog hasn't eaten for 3 days, is dreadfully lethargic and bringing up yellow froth I do feel that he needs attention and probably won't get better without help.  So here I am waiting in for a well-recommended vet to do a housecall after he's been to church.  Perhaps there was  a cultural misunderstanding with the other vets and I didn't make enough of a fuss for them to take me seriously, but it's so reassuring to know there are people out there who will go the extra mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment