Sunday 14 October 2012

Whose family?

As usual we went to chapel at Hillcrest this morning.  The preacher was a Nigerian church leader who spoke about Abraham and God's promise to him of a son and then led into our adoption as children of God.  The comment that struck me was that, as friends of his in America are jumping through all kinds of hoops in order to adopt a child and give that child the right to bear their surname, so we are able to add the name "God" after our first names as Jesus has given us the right to be called children of God. He also suggested that whenever we meet or are introduced to someone we should drop the title "son/daughter of God" into our profile and watch the reaction. 
 
An odd thing happened at lunch today.  We had David Rowberry with us (Wycliffe & Glasgow) and I was wanting to have a steamed  pudding (cinnamon and mock apple aka green papaya).  Easy to whip up you might think. Yes if there's power to work the electric beaters, too much like hard work if there isn't.  I planned ahead, prepared the pudding on Saturday night when the generator ensures electricity, put it into my trusty Lakeland pudding basin (see earlier post) and pressure cooked it for 10 minutes, intending to give it the remaining cooking time today.  In the morning I was glad I did as there was no power.  I lifted the lid to check it, it had risen nicely so into the cooker it went to finish steaming.

Pudding time arrived and I opened up my basin ready to tip it onto a serving plate.  I don't know what chemical reaction had occurred (suggestions please) but any sponge-like qualities had disappeared leaving a gooey (delicious) mixture which could only be spooned into bowls.  It was my ideal pudding - just like the raw cake mixture I enjoy so much but with the reassurance it had been properly cooked.  I probably couldn't produce it again but we certainly enjoyed it this time.


A wellie tree



I now know where they get wellies from in Nigeria.  They really do grow on trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment