Thursday 6 September 2012

Grace Gardens

Yesterday I pitched the idea of a creative thinking course to some of the community elders and BRiCC teachers.  Their enthusiasm and commitment was obvious – if I’d been ready I think we could have started the class there and then.  The teachers are keen to improve their techniques and learn new ideas but raised some issues that I wasn’t aware of.  One of them asked, “If you start having fun, however focussed, in the classroom, how do you bring a class of up to 60 back to the lesson?” Haven’t got an answer to that one yet.  I explained that I couldn’t tell anyone how to teach maths, English, computers, nursery children etc but that I hoped to be able to give them the confidence to use their own abilities and encourage creative thinking techniques in teaching and life in general.  Anything that would promote the use of alternative, yet effective discipline (instead of beating for not being able to do the work) and teamwork within the classroom would be a success as far as I’m concerned.

This morning I finally got to Grace Gardens and regretted that I hadn’t brought my camera.  The building and walled grounds are extremely elegant – they were built by a Muslim for his favourite wife and are full of decorative arches and tiled floors.  Unfortunately, as the tension rose in Jos, this man was threatened that his house would be burnt down if he didn’t move from the “Christian” area so he’s renting it out to Grace Gardens.  

When we walked through the gate a group of children of all sizes ran to meet us with hugs.  Even those who could only reach my legs kept coming back for another hug.  Some of them were orphans, others live in the house with their mothers but all were eager for any attention offered and quickly began a clapping game with Keesha, a new American recruit to Grace Gardens whilst MA’s Angie showed me around until I was claimed by little Rejoice who led me off to read to her.  The story of Josiah and the book of the Law was not one that I would have automatically gone for but she chose it and seemed to enjoy it.

The bedrooms contain at least 2 sets of bunk beds and an ensuite bathroom.  Mothers and children live together and all help with the household chores.  Most of the ladies weren’t actually at home.  Recently they’ve been going out for training every morning which would make it difficult for me to get involved with them during term time but is completely necessary.  There’s little incentive for girls to leave prostitution if they have no alternative means of making a living.  They return just as I’m needed at home for when James and Ruth come back from school but I’m sure I could work something out for the holidays.  I was particularly impressed by the set up in the back garden.  A tankful of catfish provides fertiliser for the tomato plants growing in raised beds beside it.  Ruth and Sunday the house parents seem to run a good home for sometimes rather difficult occupants.
When I returned home I got my first lesson in Nigerian cookery.  Becky bought a catfish from the market (live until the seller hit it on the head and put it in a plastic bag).  She pounded garlic, ginger and chilli with my wooden pestle and mortar, added tomatoes and potatoes  to make a stuffing, washed and rubbed the fish with salt to remove the sliminess and scales.  It was then wrapped in foil and left to me to bake for tea tonight.  I actually feel like a proper missionary cook as I steamed a pudding in the pressure cooker in a "Milo" tin.  Turned out very nicely too.

No comments:

Post a Comment